Monday, July 19, 2010

In the foothills of Mt. Kenya...

I just got back from a weekend trip with friends in the foothills of Mt. Kenya. We drove to Aberdares National Park and spent the weekend hiking, visiting a waterfall, and doing some game drives. The highlight of the wildlife we saw was definitely some very old bull elephants and some giant forest hogs (which, I might add, are very aptly named so!).

It also felt SO good to do some hiking and stretch my limbs. Never in my life have I spent so much time being sedentary and sitting in a car, as a I have here in Kenya. Being a pedestrian is not really an option here in Nairobi due to the security risk, so you are pretty much stuck having to drive everywhere you want to go. And its not possible to walk many places in the countryside either, unless you are with armed guards, due to the risk of getting attacked by wild animals. So, you end up driving everywhere then too.

It felt especially amazing to have hiked for 3 hours in a row this weekend, the longest duration of exercise I've gotten since being in Kenya!












No comments:

Post a Comment